Demonstration Kitchen (or Demo Kitchen) is a program hosted by Campus Recreation that intends to help students and faculty and staff who have Rec Center memberships. It is located in the Rec Center kitchen and demonstrates recipes and techniques in person that the students can then taste for themselves. How to recreate the dish and aspects of its nutritional content are covered, typically by a certified chef and/or dietician. It typically seats around 20 and is done on a primarily RSVP basis. A distinction is usually made between Level I dishes and Level II dishes, with the former requiring a maximum of 8 ingredients and 30 minutes of preparation and the latter requiring a maximum of 12 ingredients and 40 minutes of preparation.
The following is an incomplete list of Demo Kitchen events.
|10/4/07||Heart Healthy Stew|
|10/17/07||Low Fat Quesadillas|
|11/1/07||Pizza Pasta with Italian Salad|
|11/14/07||Healthy Thanksgiving Leftovers|
|2/27/08||Chicken Pesto Pasta|
|3/26/08||Fiesta Lime Grilled Chicken Breasts|
|6/24/08||Whole Wheat Pancakes|
|10/8/09||Crispy Fish Fingers|
|2/22/10||Chicken Rotini Salad||6:30pm|
|3/2/10||Salmon with Tomato Basil Salsa||6:30pm|
|3/8/10||Three Cheese Veggie Quiche||6:30pm|
|3/22/10||Spiced Peach Packets with Frozen Yogurt||6:30pm|
|4/6/10||Chipotle Chicken Salad||6:30pm|
|4/19/10||Jerky Turkey Burgers with Papaya Salsa||6:30pm|
|6/22/10||Baked Artichoke Dip and Hummus||6:00pm|
|7/20/10||Greek Style Pizza||6:00pm|
|8/9/10||Chocolate Butterscotch Trifle||6:00pm|
|11/30/10||Chicken Pot Pie with Phyllo||6:00pm|
|4/6/11||Turkey and Zucchini Burgers|
|7/18/11||Grilled Pork and Cheese Quesadillas||6:00pm|
|8/10/11||Curried Chicken and Granny Smith apple Salad||6:00pm|
|8/30/11||Light Tilapia Tacos||12:00pm||Lv 2|
|9/12/11||Arroz con Pollo||6:00pm||Lv 2|
|9/14/11||"Before and After" Workout Nutrition||5:30pm||Workshop|
|9/20/11||French Toast with Fruit Topping and Baby Quiche||8:30am||Lv 1|
|9/28/11||Sharpen Your Knife Skills||5:30pm||Workshop|
|10/5/11||Rigatoni with Grilled Vegetable Sauce||6:00pm||Lv 1|
|10/25/11||Buffalo Chicken Pita||12:00pm||Lv 1|
|10/27/11||"Kitchen Basics" Cooking 101||5:30pm||Workshop|
|11/7/11||Greek Feta Chicken with Veggie Kabobs||6:00pm||Lv 2|
|11/9/11||Master the Five Mother Sauces||5:30pm||Lv 1|
|11/13/11||Baked Macaroni and Cheese|
|11/15/11||Italian Sausage and White Bean Stew||6:00pm||Workshop|
|9/5/12||Grilled Fish Tacos||5:30pm|
|10/3/12||Veggie Quesadilla Pockets||5:30pm|
|10/18/12||Thai-style Chicken Pizza||5:30pm|
|11/7/12||Sesame Orange Beef and Rice||5:30pm|
|11/15/12||Southwest Chicken Skillet||5:30pm|
The following dishes have also been served at some point in the Demo Kitchen.
- Artichoke and Leek Pizza
- Asian Turkey Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- California Rolls
- Chicken and White Bean Chili
- Chili-Lime Crisped Chicken Fingers
- Chili-Lime Crisped Fish Fingers
- Chinese Chicken and Veggies
- Chocolate Pancakes
- Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
- Edamame Veggie Burger
- "Fajita" Burgers
- Italian Chicken and Veggies
- Marinated Chicken Enchiladas with Black Beans
- Mediterranean Tuna Melt
- College Cooking: Microwave Stir Fry
- Mushroom Smothered Salisbury Steak
- Pear Walnut Crumble
- Pecan Chicken Rosemary Baked Vegetables
- Seared Sesame Tuna with Orange Glaze
- Sesame Chicken and Bok Choy Stir-Fry
- Shrimp and Chicken Stir-Fry
- Shrimp Quesadillas with Tomato Avocado Salsa
- Skinny Peach and Apple Bakes
- Skinny Turkey Nachos
- Southwestern Glazed Salmon
- Texas Red Chili
- Thai Beef Salad
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta
- Weight Watchers Moo Shu Chicken Wraps
- White Bean Chili
- You and Me Chicken Pot Pies
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Demonstration Kitchen". UTSA Campus Recreation. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- ↑ "Demo Kitchen 10/8/2009". UTSA Campus Recreation c/o Internet Archive. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- ↑ "Spring 2010 Demonstration Kitchen Class". UTSA Campus Recreation c/o Internet Archive from 1/17/10. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- ↑ "Summer 2010 Demonstration Kitchen Class". UTSA Campus Recreation c/o Internet Archive from 5/27/10. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- ↑ "Fall 2010 Demonstration Kitchen Class". UTSA Campus Recreation c/o Internet Archive from 11/15/10. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- ↑ "Demonstration Kitchen Schedule". UTSA Campus Recreation c/o Internet Archive from 6/28/11. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- ↑ "Previous Classes". UTSA Campus Recreation. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
|This wiki is not owned or operated by The University of Texas at San Antonio. It is independent and unofficial and its views reflect those of its contributors in the UTSA community--students, alumni, and anyone else interested in helping out.|